Here is a quick overview of the general guidelines set by the NHRA and enforced by GIRA. This brief guide is no substitute for the NHRA rulebook.
- Drivers must wear a Snell 98 approved helmet.
- Drivers must wear long pants, full coverage shoes, and shirt with sleeves.
- Drivers must have a valid driver’s license.
- Street cars must have a current Hawaii safety inspection and insurance card.
- Batteries must be securely bolted down.
- No more than a total of 12” of rubber fuel line is allowed in the entire fuel system.
- No worn or damaged tires.
- If the battery is relocated, you must have an external kill switch clearly marked ON/OFF on the back of the vehicle that will cut off electrical power and shut off the car. Cars running an alternator must be rewired to shut off the engine.
- Any car on slicks must have a driveshaft loop, C-clip eliminators and long wheel studs.
- Aftermarket rear axles required with a locked rear end.
13.49 and quicker
- Convertible’s must have a six-point rollbar.
11.99 and quicker
- All drivers must wear an SFI-approved jacket.
- SFI-approved (dated 2 yr exp.) five-point harness required.
- Six-point rollbar required.
- Manual transmissions require an SFI-approved (dated, exp. depends on clutch type) bellhousing.
- Steel valve stems required with tubeless tires.
10.99 and quicker
- 10-point rollcage required.
- Full-bodied cars with an unaltered firewall, floor, and body may use just a six-point rollbar.
- Automatic transmissions require an SFI-approved (dated 5 yr exp.) transmission shield.
- SFI-approved harmonic balancer required.
- Aftermarket rear axles required.
9.99 and quicker
- Drivers must have an NHRA Competition License.
- Medical exam must be complete on the NHRA form before attempting any licensing passes.
- 10-point rollcage with serialized NHRA sticker (3 yr exp.) and SFI-approved (2 yr exp.) window net required.
- Multi-layered SFI-approved firesuit required.
- SFI-approved neck collar mandatory.
- Parachute required above 150 mph.
- Automatic transmissions must have SFI-approved (dated, 5 yr exp.) flexplate and shield.